I’ve finished the back and the left front sections of the Ipanema sweater. Upon trying it on for size, I found that the length and width of the body is correct but the length and width of the sleeve is too big. The sleeve is so huge that it appears to drag down the whole sweater . I should have known this when I adjusted for my gauge. I had to make the 2nd smallest size already. The pattern calls for the same number of stitches for the sleeves in all sizes so I thought I would be okay but obviously not. In addition, The batwing underarm is not angled enough. I really believe that this is my problem because my gauge was so far off.
I really tried to get this yarn to work for this pattern. It had a nice drape and although it isn’t as soft as the Origami, I thought I could finagle the number of stitches enough to make the whole thing work. So, while I adjusted for width and length, I was unable to control the angles that are so necessary to make this pattern work out properly. I’m glad that I didn’t weave in my ends and that this sweater is worked mainly in large pieces. It looks as if the whole thing must be ripped out.
I’ve had several unsuccessful outcomes recently. They were projects from printed patterns. The patterns were fine but in one instance, the required yarn was defective and in this instance I couldn’t get gauge with my substituted yarn. I’ve done a lot of yarn substitutions over the years but have never had one work out quite this badly!