Tag Archives: Naturally Caron Country
Hand sewing the zipper took a little time. I take many small horizontal stitches through both thicknesses and place them one on top of the other. This results in a row of slanted stitches running down the zipper tape.
Turn the coat inside out. Keeping the sleeves right side out, tuck a sleeve into one armhole with the underarm sleeve seam centered in the 2″ decrease area in the armhole. Center the top of the sleeve on the shoulder seam. Make sure you have the two pieces right side together. Clip the sleeve to the armhole edges and crochet or sew around the edge.
The above photo shows the sleeve seam crocheted together. Weave in all ends. Sew the buttons under the buttonholes on the front.
I will post a modeled photo soon but now I am going to sign off for a couple of weeks and to take a vacation with my children and grandchildren. When I return, I will provide the free crochet Bike Chain Car Coat pattern.
Here is a portion of the car coat that I started before I made the Bike Chain Hat and Scarf for Paul. This pattern is taking a while to complete. The nature of the bike chain stitch is such that every other row is single crochet. Since I am working side-to-side, each row is very long and I am using a fairly small hook (G).
In this pattern, the sleeves will be worked separately from the bottom up starting with a ribbed cuff. I intend to use a zipper closure, something I have never done before on any of my designs. I also plan to include a stand-up collar as well as a band across the bottom. At this point, I’m not really sure how those two things will work out but I’ve been experimenting a little with my original swatch to see what type of stitch will go well with the bike chain stitch.
Working this way results in a bulky fabric. Despite the fact that I am using Naturally Caron Country, which is a light worsted weight yarn, the front post single crochet stitches are creating a ribbed effect which is perfect for a coat. It should hold its shape well and will be toasty warm in the winter.
Progress is slow because I am having a problem with my wrist again. I try to work at least three double-rows each day so that I can eventually see an end to this project, have a nice new winter coat, and offer another free pattern on my blog.
In the above photo, you will note that I have left a rectangular area open for the sleeve. Unlike most designs, this coat will have sleeves that will be set in after the shoulder seams have been sewn together.
Above you can see a close-up of what I call the Bike Chain Stitch.
Okay, this is the yarn. I was going to make the Copenhagen Jacket but after making a 6″ piece, I decided that the cables made the fabric too thick. Now I have 18 skeins of Naturally Caron and it seems to be plenty for a car coat. This will be a free pattern but I am still working on it and the going is slow. I’ve injured my wrist again and the cortisone shots are no longer working so the next option will be surgery. Just bear with me while I do a few inches of this every day. Eventually I’ll end up with a finished product and a pattern!
I snagged a couple of great finds at a yard sale last week. One was a book that I have been meaning to read but somehow forgot to buy. It was quite a bargain at 50 cents. The other was a small metal magazine holder that is just the right size for my bathroom. I paid $3 for that one. It needs a coat of green paint to add that unexpected splash of color in an otherwise neutral enviornment.
Summer is almost over! We had the opportunity to take a little camping trip one weekend but we are saving our big vacation for the last week of October. For two years we’ve been planning a Disney World getaway with the kids and grandkids. Paul and I will be taking our RV and the rest of the family will be staying in a friend’s timeshare. Can’t wait!
Tammy Hildebrand designed the Copenhagen Jacket, a free pattern on the web. This jacket pattern requires a familiarity with making cables, something I have never attempted. The pattern is rated as suitable for experienced crocheters. Teresa on Crochetville started a crochet-along using this pattern so I decided to join. I had seen several finished projects on Ravelry and figured that I wouldn’t have a problem.
Alas! Almost immediately I ran into trouble making the zig-zag stitches on the edges. They looked droopy and misshapen. After experimenting on some scrap yarn, I was able to come up with a very mediocre swatch.
As you can see, I crocheted right over my zig-zags on the 2nd row! After fighting with it for a while, I asked Teresa for help. She gave me some good advice and immediately things started to turn around. I picked up my chosen yarn, Naturally Caron Country, a blend of merino wool and acrylic, and started on the jacket. This time things were a bit better. Here is the result after about 20 rows.
This jacket is a modular garment and consists of long rectangles joined together. Despite the very simple and basic tailoring, I know that this project will take me long time to finish. Stay tuned…