After the fiasco with the Summer Breeze Cardi, I was casting about for a different project for my Pebbles yarn and decided to make up my own design. Since the pebbles is a DK weight cotton, in order to get any drape at all, I needed to go for an openwork garment. I’m not much of a fan of lace stitch patterns but I do like openwork crochet that has more of a modern, geometrical look. I was inspired by the Blue Waves Vest on the cover of the November 2010 Issue of Crochet Today.
But I really, really love the simple construction of the Crocodile Stitch Cardigan that I had just completed. There are many of that type of shrug on-line and they are all made by crocheting a rectangle and then sewing the ends together. What could be easier? And the results are fantastic! An optional border all the way around the neck and front can dress up this easy design.
I swatched the Crossbill Stitch and the SC2tog,CH 1 Stitch as well as several others and none of them were giving me the drape that I was after. Since I was working with cotton, I wanted this garment to be for the Spring and Fall so it had to be light and airy.
I experimented with the Blue Waves Vest stitch pattern but was not thrilled with the lack of texture. I wanted my vertical lines to stand out more so I tried slip stitching into the front stitch and then working the next row behind the row of slip stitches in the remaining unworked stitches from the previous row. This made the vertical lines stand out but they were much too prominent now. Luckily, my granddaughter Erika requested that I make her the Bamboo Hooded Scarf, one of my early designs. Voila! Here was the stitch pattern I was looking for!
I made a few modifications so that the textured rows would always ride on the right side. They now look as if they were slip-stitched onto the top of the fabric after the project was finished. This is exactly what I was after but by working each slip stitch row into the body of the fabric, you eliminate the laborious extra work.
So there you have it my friends. The photo above is of my new pattern on the blocking wires. I just have to take a few photos and re-read the instructions for errors and then I will post it to my blog. Stay tuned for the Pietra Shrug!