Now that Labor Day is behind us, it’s time to get back to the important work! I had previously blogged about my Leaflines Shawlette and about how I had run out of yarn just as I was starting to work the second to last row! I ordered another skein from KnitPicks in the same dye lot and it has arrived. Since receiving the skein I decided to go ahead and include the beading along the border even though I had originally not wanted to have a beaded edge. So, as you can see, I have all my supplies at hand now, the beading needles, the beads, and the final skein of yarn. No reason not to get busy and finish up this gift!
Oh ! And my new book, Tunisian Cables to Crochet by Kim Guzman is also here and waiting for me to make a project. I had intended to make the very beautiful Verona Ruana but I did a check on Ravelry for the yarn, Plymouth Baby Alpaca Grande Bulky, and found out that the vast majority of users said that it shed terribly. Some experienced eye irritation and coughing. It is also $15 per skein which would make my sweater $165. I don’t mind paying a high price for something that I will wear a lot but I wasn’t sure I’d get my money’s worth out of this project.
Off I went to research alternative yarns. Kim suggested that all the yarns on Ravelry listed under extra-bulky would work. While the Lion Brand Woolease Thick and Quick was an option, I read that it pilled a lot and I did not want to put hours of work into an item that would be unwearable after the first time. In the end, I thought it would be best to scrap the Ruana idea and begin my foray into Tunisian cables with a more modest project. I just love the Dublin Owl Hat and Mitts. I chose the Plymouth DK Marino Superwash in purple. Beautiful!
But even though I was busy choosing new projects for September, my hands were not idle this week. I thumbed through my stitch dictionary and thought that the silt stitch would be nice for a scarf and beret. While I was at Joann picking out some craft supplies I noticed a little yarn jug just right for 2 balls of yarn. I had tried making my own one time but the hole in the lid was very unkind to the yarn strands, causing them to shred. A rubber grommet didn’t work either because the yarn got stuck on it. So I was happy to see this nifty little gadget for $9.95!
With all the projects I have done over the years I have never made myself a hat! So I used some Vanna’s Choice yarn (Oooh, I didn’t like that yarn!) and came up with a pattern for a set done in the silt stitch. I still have to take some photos but the pattern will be available in my next post.
So stay tuned for the Silty Scarf and Hat, a great Christmas gift idea!